Friday, May 3, 2013

Kitchen Remodel 2013

We are finally getting to remodeling our kitchen. We have done a few things here and there throughout the last several years...new light fixtures, sink, flooring, countertops, new gas range, etc. But the cabinets are still original to the house and were starting to wear down. One cabinet cracked in half and I have been living with a bare piece of thin plywood as a cabinet door for over a year now. Then we were thinking we could start small and replace the upper cabinets first and follow with the lowers later. But then our 13 year old portable dishwasher's door springs gave out and we realized that we would need a new dishwasher. So obviously that means the lowers would need to be addressed so that a new dishwasher would be built-in. So we started there.
We had to pull out the cabinet next to the sink to fit in the new built-in. We got stainless steel to match our gas range. One of these days, they will all match, but a new refrigerator is possibly the last phase of the remodeling journey, that will likely span a few years.

 
 So, the cabinet that we had to pull out, and move over,  was also the cabinet with the plywood door. I thought what a stroke of luck to have a cabinet to experiment with. For fun I painted the bare plywood with chalkboard paint. Super cute and very "in" right now. Love it!

Jeremy had to make a temporary top for my "experimental cabinet" out of.....yep, you guessed it...plywood. So I tried a stain color that I was thinking would be great for my new work table. It turned out to be too dark and the wrong shade of brown, so it was a good lesson to learn before I made the mistake in a much bigger way.

 
I've dreamed of a farmhouse, rustic kitchen, way before rustic became chic. I've always dabbled a little in home decorating but it is not even close to a talent of mine. It wasn't until pinterest that I was able to put some real visuals together of what I consider my style....that style that I've had in my head, but not able to materialize. The truth is, I have loved antiques since I was in high school (back in the early 90's) and worked for an amazing lady that used antiques in her home with such style that I felt I was in a magazine everytime  I was honored to work in her home. She defined farmhouse shabby chic, rustic charm....you put in the terms....she made old look amazingly beautiful. Anyway, I loved being in her home. Now more recently this "look" has been all the rage! So with the inspiration of my dear friend, Ruth and pinterest, I found a style that is more ME. White cabinets, beaded board, rustic, antique touches, wood floors and reclaimed wonders. I love the journey! Come follow along as I try to build the kitchen that I've been dreaming of.

No comments:

Post a Comment